Monday, January 28, 2008

Bittersweet

I hope you'll all indulge me. President Gordon B. Hinckley, president and of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the church to which I happily belong), died last night.
I am sad for me. He was such a good man. Well-spoken, kind, gentle, witty. I have loved having him as the head of our church. He has been courageous and open through the past twelve years. He has worked hard, every day, even when I am sure it wasn't easy for him. I have been terribly grateful for his love and leadership. I will miss him.
I am so very happy for him. He deserves the rest, though I have little doubt that he will get right to work in the spirit world. His sweet wife died years ago and he has expressed many times how much he missed her. I am so happy for them, that they can be together again.
Some of my favorite things that he has said over the last few years:


"It does not matter our nationality. It does not matter where we were born. It does not matter whether our hair is light or dark. It does not matter the shape of our eyes. Each of us is a child of God. He is the great God of the universe, but He is also our Father, to whom we may go in prayer. We know, I know, you know, that He hears and answers our prayers. … What a wonderful and marvelous thing that is” (member meeting, Vladivostok, Russia, July 31, 2005).


“I am so profoundly grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, for a testimony of the Atonement of the Savior. I believe in it with all my heart, and I live for it, and I bear witness of it this day. Of all of the events of human history, none other approaches the Atonement of the Savior in its meaning and in its results. God be thanked for the gift of His precious Son, to whom we all owe thanks for His sacrifice in our behalf” (member meeting, Copenhagen, Denmark, May 22, 2004).


“This is my prayer for all of us—'Lord, increase our faith.' Increase our faith to bridge the chasms of uncertainty and doubt. . . . Grant us faith to look beyond the problems of the moment to the miracles of the future. . . . Give us faith to do what is right and let the consequence follow.”(“Lord, Increase Our Faith,” Ensign, Nov. 1987, 52–53.)


“Faith in something greater than ourselves enables us to do what we have said we'll do, to press forward when we are tired or hurt or afraid, to keep going when the challenge seems overwhelming and the course is entirely uncertain.”


“The Lord would want you to be successful. He would. You are His sons and His daughters. He has the same kind of love and ambition for you that your earthly parents have. They want you to do well and you can do it.”


"I say this to other people: you develop all the good you can. We have no animosity toward any other church. We do not oppose other churches. We never speak negatively of other churches. We say to people: you bring all the good that you have, and let us see if we can add to it."

4 comments:

Emily said...

amen. i leave it to writers to be able to express the truest feelings of my own heart. thank you.

Megan said...

We will miss him, he was such an amazing man.

Muum said...

Well said! What a great example he has been to me.

Rynell said...

Thank you for your beautiful words....such an amazing, loving man.