Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Read This. No, I'm Serious. Go read it now.

I'm planning to have my list of books to read up by tomorrow.

Until then, you should read one woman's experience with reading some of these books, particularly Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake, Abby Epstein and Jacques Moritz.

I saw a lot of myself in her. (Except for the fact that she's hilariously irreverent in a way I could never dream of being.) But a lot of the change in ideas that have come on as I've taken the time to read and educate myself about birth are very similar.

Here's a quote:

"And then, oh God, the worst thing happened. And I didn't even see it coming, but I'm sitting there reading that book, gritting my teeth, shaking my head when all of a sudden it started to make sense. I started to see just how medicalized labor and birth have become in America AND THERE GOES MY WORLD VIEW.
Here's a link to the whole post: Dooce's Labor Story, Part One.

It's worth the read, if nothing else because she's so stinking funny and entertaining through the whole thing.

No comments: