Wednesday, March 19, 2008

So Close I Can Almost Taste It!

A few days ago, JDub and I sat together on our bed with his laptop and paid off the very last of our credit card debt. Can I just tell you how wonderful that is? We now have only about $1900 on a personal loan that we will be able to pay off within the next month or so and we are done. Completely debt free other than our mortgage. What a fantastic feeling.

About three years ago we read Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover together and committed to doing it. I am not sure we have been as "gazelle intense" as we could have been, but we've continued to put one foot in front of the other and have managed, through various means, to pay down 90% of our $19,000 debt since then. Hooray!

As soon as we have finished with the last of our debt, we will be building our six month's savings and year's supply of food(starting with flour, wheat and a wheat grinder).

I can't put into words how light and free this makes me feel. Ahhhh... I feel such tremendous gratitude for the way we have been blessed and led over the last few years. Our prayers have been answered over and over, the windows of heaven have poured out blessings. I feel overwhelmed an unworthy of it all. So, so grateful.

For more information on Dave Ramsey's TMM, you can go to his website daveramsey.com.

7 comments:

Emily said...

wow, that's awesome. i'm so happy for you! i imagine that it has been a lot of hard work to get to this point!

Megan said...

wow, what a great feeling. The Duke and I aren't even three years from this, (pharmacy school and business school are so expensive!) But I remember how relieved I felt when we paid off the credit card we had to use his last year of school. Such relief!
Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

That is so freaking awesome!!!!!! We already had our mortgage and student loans but then we had a credit card. Now we had to borrow some more because we needed to lower the price of our house in Cincy. Now we are in further debt. It is certainly hard to get a handle on it. It seems as soon as we start really doing well with it something happens........grrr! It is a blessing that I read this post. I am going to check Dave's site out. For months now we have been working diligently and have a strong dedication to doing just what you are doing. I can't wait until I can post a similar post!

MANY CONGRATS for you HARD work and DEDICATION!!! You will be blessed! Doing the happy dance for you!!! :-)

Rynell said...

I too have read Dave Ramsey's book. Way to go!

Real said...

Congratulations. That's awesome. We just have our student loans and mortgage but they are huge and even though we work at it every month I think it's still going to take most of my lifetime to get rid of those darned student loans.

In the meantime we are working at our food storage. Savings is harder.

Joeprah said...

Just in time to start paying on my debt, thanks in advance for your help! :)

The Yarn Queen said...

What a great endeavor and even greater that you stuck with it. Hurry for you guys. I know you have trully been blessed. Keep up the good work.