Monday, August 10, 2009

The Best Birth Books


So, you know that list of great books to read during pregnancy? The one I promised to post quite a while ago? Well, here it is finally!

I was planning on writing a little blurb about each book and my opinions on it, what was best about it, etc. But I don't have the extra time or brain power for that right now. So, each book title links to its description on Amazon. That way, in true Reading Rainbow fashion, you don't have to take my word for it! You can go read what amazon and all of the reviews have to say.

My advice is to read at least three of these really good birth books while pregnant. The more you read, the more well-rounded your information and preparation will be. Enjoy!

Oh, and the stars and the Ps and Os and <3s.... If a book has a star by it, I have it in my library and am happy to loan it to friends and family. If it has a P or an O it means it is available at one of the two major local libraries in my area. If it has a <3 by it, it means I luuuuuuuurrrrrve that book!

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin * P O <3

The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer * O <3

The Pregnancy Book by William and Martha Sears P

The Birth Book by William and Martha Sears *

Having a Baby, Naturally by Peggy O'Mara

Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper P O

Birth Without Violence by Frederick LeBoyer P O

Birthing From Within by Pam England and Rob Horowitz * P <3

Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley and Ann Keppler * P

Mind Over Labor by Carl Jones *

Active Birth by Janet Balaskas O

Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake, Abby Epstein and Jacques Moritz P O <3

Easing Labor Pain by Adrienne B. Liberman P

Disclaimer: This is probably far from an extensive list. But these are the books with which I am familiar enough to feel comfortable recommending. I have an alternate list of books to avoid (#1 being "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I have a friend who calls it "What to Freak Out About While You're Expecting.") but I chose to just keep to the positive list for this post.




1 comment:

Jeff and Jessie said...

I will be needing to borrow a few of these in the upcoming months. No, not yet, but I am betting within the next 6 months or so. I am wanting to read outside of what I have-thanks for compiling a list-it makes it easier for me!