Friday, June 15, 2007

Blogs That Make Me Think

Well, what do you know? My dear friend, the Duchess, gave me a nice birthday present a while ago by including me in a list of blogs that make her think. I was surprised an flattered.

I am happily playing along, even if I'm just now getting around to posting this.

The rules of the award are as follows:

1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think,
2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
3. Optional: Proudly display the 'Thinking Blogger Award' with a link to the post that you wrote (silver version, gold version).



So, without further ado, here are a few blogs that make me think.

1. Brooke at Urban Earth Mama is one of the most phenomenal women I have ever met. She is beautiful, inside and out. Inside even more than out. And visiting her blog is always a treat for me. She always makes me look at things in a new light. I could list a hundred quotes from her blog that have brought on "Aha!" moments for me, but her post about Walter especially got me thinking about the training I should be giving my children in compassion and social awareness. Like Brooke, I hope I'm doing a good job.

Here's what she had to say:

We must find a balance between honoring his observances (Walter's teeth are funny) and teaching him when kindness dictates that we keep our thoughts to ourselves. I want him to be the kid the teacher can count on to partner with the wonky kid and be a safe haven in a cruel world NOT the tormentor and certainly not the nasty ring leader.
Brooke, I'll let my kids play with yours any day.

2. Lena at Cheeky Lotus makes me laugh my guts out. And somehow she makes me think at the same time. And she is a MASTER at titles.

Take this one for example: No Nipples Were Actually Hurt In the Making Of This Post

Here's a quote:
Having my breastfeeding capabilities questioned caused me to mentally step back and take inventory of my motivations for continuing to struggle with breastfeeding despite my body's unwillingness. I realized that I had been so wrapped up in judging MYSELF and berating MYSELF for what my body SHOULD be doing that I had lost sight of the end goal: to have a HEALTHY baby.

And it wasn't until someone else made me angry doing the same thing I was doing to myself - judging - that I was able to snap out of it and make the adjustments that were ...wait for it...RIGHT FOR ME AND MY BABY.


3.Yet another woman who makes me laugh so hard I snort, is Chris over at Notes From The Trenches. She is a mother of many who truly gets it. Motherhood is not always pretty, but always worth it. And she has a sassy streak that I just adore. I would love to go to the park and chat with her some day.

She goes back and forth between making me laugh, making me think and reminding me how glorious this mothering business really is.

From a recent post on her blog at parenting.com:

We have a little ritual, she and I. As I walk out of her bedroom for the night, I'll pause at the door and say to her, "I love you."

She replies, "I love you better."

But I know the truth. She couldn't possibly.

4. Another real friend, over at Birthsongs, is one of my favorite people. Her blog gives me hope and makes me think. I don't visit it often, because every time I do, I end up there for HOURS ON END. She has this quote on her sidebar:
"Sometimes the victory is that you just keep trying."
And if that isn't enough, here's a quote from one of her recent posts, Time For the End of the Year Awards.
This year, I have gotten 5 kids ready for school every day. In addition to that feat of stamina and endurance, it was all done without yelling. Seriously.
Okay, that got my attention. I think I'll be calling her soon to see exactly how she managed that. Go read her blog. She has some interesting things to say about birth, too, if you're interested.

5. I love to read Lazy Daisy's Blog. She is such an optimistic and uplifting woman and her blog always makes me smile. And, being a daisy girl myself, the floating daisies on her site always lift my heart. :)

Her post, Some Thoughts On Flying, was especially nice to read. Daisy, I appreciate the faith and joy that shine through in your blog.

Honorable mentions (Am I allowed to do this? Well, it's my blog, so I guess so!):

My friend, Edge, makes me think nearly every time I talk to her or read her blog. I couldn't find any really quotable stuff on her blog, so I didn't put her in my five. But, she makes me think in very unconventional ways. (Yes, Edge, I used the word unconventional when referring to you. Don't act so surprised!) I appreciate her and promise her blog is worth a visit.

The Duchess at Yarnnation is the one who tagged me for this, and she's already been tagged. So, I won't include her. But she certainly does make me think. On both of her blogs!

3 comments:

Emily said...

wow, i'm excited to find a few new reads here - of course, a few i already read and love. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm just flooded with gratitude that you would list me here my friend. Thank you. Wow. You do me an honor to acknowledge my mothering of one when you are practicing the daily mindfulness of mothering four. Bless you.

Not that I know exactly how to link the appropriate tags and quotations, but I will certainly try and forward the inspiration.

Much love Bear sister!
B

Real said...

Thanks for including me on your list! It's nice to be appreciated.