Sunday, August 05, 2007

His Name Was Nate

And he was new in town. He'd just moved to Lakepoint from Park City, which meant he went to my high school.

I was a lowly freshman. He was a Junior. I was a Mormon. He was Jewish. And he had the most incredible eyes I had ever seen. Oh. The eyes. They killed me.

I met Nate on the first day of my Freshman year. We had Beginning Journalism together during first period. We joked and played together during class those first few weeks. Then, we started writing notes. Exquisite notes. He wrote poetry for me and quoted Shakespeare:

"What light through yonder window breaks? It is the east and Heather is the sun!"

I was smitten. Smitten, I tell you.

He wrote other things.

I adore you.

You are the most beautiful person I have ever seen.

If I could only have you alone for a couple of hours.

Eeek! Of course, in my sweet, naive fourteen year old heart it never occurred to me that, in having me alone for a couple of hours, he would want to do anything more than hold my hand and talk to me and bask in the beauty of my presence. I imagined firelight and poetry. The intervening years have taught me that he probably had a very different picture in mind.

to be continued...

Thanks to Kate from Walking Katetastrophe and Brillig of T'was Brillig for the fantabulous idea of sharing Soap Opera Sunday with all of us.

2 comments:

Brillig said...

AAAAKKKHHH!!! What a way to leave us hanging!!!! Sorry your link didn't go up until so late. Next week, we'll get you at the top, so that everyone will see it. (And I suggest you put a link in your next SOS back to this post, so people can catch up.) This is crazy-brilliant in its suspense. Can't wait for next week!

Luisa Perkins said...

YIIIIIKES! Great beginning.